- To reduce injuries.
- To maintain or even increase strength levels throughout the season.
- To ensure optimal physical and mental performance during the season.
- To be our healthiest during the latter part of the season.
As you all are aware of, your shoulders take a beating during baseball season. While the shoulder is the most flexible of the joints in the body, that flexibility decreases the stability of the shoulder joint. This makes the shoulder more susceptible to getting injured. The following is a protocol that was developed by Jim Smith and Jedd Johnson of the Diesel Crew. They are strength coaches in Pennsylvania and have had the pleasure of communicating with them on shoulder prehab protocols.
Oakton Baseball In-Season Shoulder "Prehab" Protocol
As you can see from the video, we have five circuits to complete. The following schedule is what you will follow:
- Monday: Circuit #1
- Tuesday: Circuit #2
- Wednesday: Circuit #3
- Thursday: OFF
- Friday: Circuit #4
- Saturday: Circuit #5
As for sets and reps, the following schedule will help put the pieces of the puzzle together better for you:
- Gamedays: 1 x 15
- Lifting Days: 2 x 12
- Off Days: 3 x 15
REPLACE THE EXERCISES LISTED IN CIRCUIT #2 WITH THE FOLLOWING:
- db internal/ external rotations
- EZ Bar Cuban Rotations
- EZ bar Cuban Press
Tips to make this work:
- Write down or print the exercises for the day
- Check out the video the night before or before any training sessions.
- Make sure to study the movements
- If you cannot bring the video up on Firefox, open Internet Explorer.
Each circuit takes a max time of 10 minuets or less so make sure you are doing this!!!!! THIS IS A CRITICAL ASPECT OF YOUR TRAINING PROGRAM!!!!!!